Friday, September 25, 2009

IVF #5 failure phone consult

So I had a phone consult with my RE to discuss our recent failure. He said he was surprised given my age (still under 30 -- though not by much anymore :-( ) that I had such poor embryos. He said usually he only sees such poor embryos from women over 40. So he basically had only two ideas for us:
1. They just tried a new protocal for one patient (last week, so they don't yet know if it even worked for this one patient). Basically, there's a study that shows that if you use lupron instead of the hcg shot to make you ovulate, you won't hyperstimulate. So the RE wants to do this with me and not give me the bc pills and lupron initially.
The other thing he would want to add is to do pgd with the ivf. He said he usually only recommends this for women over 40 or if there's a history of pregnancy loss (since it's expensive and insurance doesn't cover it) but in my case he'd want to do it since he thinks there may be an issue on the male side that we don't know about. It could be we're just thinking pcos and so we think we know the problem and keep trying ivfs, but the reason the embryos are poor, is due to the male side of things and he said with pgd at least we'd know if the bad embryos are because of me or because of dh.
2. His other option was an egg donor. He said he hates suggesting it to someone so young, but he doesn't see an issue with my uterus and that may be our best option at getting pregnant.

So that was our "great" news -- from the doctor that gave us a 65% chance for each IVF cycle working, even though we already had 3 ivfs. So much for optimism.
We have a consult with another RE, since four REs is not enough, right? And we started looking into adoption. So even though this is our "break" it really doesn't feel like one, but I don't think I know how to have a break. I can't really stop thinking about all this, so I can never really have a complete break...

Sometimes I feel like I need a complete break not just from fertility treatments but from life as well.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Tough call....I'm sorry....

I will say a prayer for you this Yom Kippur. I hope this new year brings you everything you hope so dearly for.

Yael said...

did you do a dna test on your dh's sperm?

I also heard that the egg quality is not as good when you have too many....