Friday, October 16, 2009

Consult with RE #5 + Consult with Adoption Lawyer

So we had a consult with another RE last week. He said he'd want to do an endometrial coculture with the next ivf, since we make poor embryos maybe using some of my own lining might make them better. (Not looking forward to this since I once had a uterus biopsy -- with RE #2 -- and it was so painful I fainted afterwords and they wouldn't let me leave since my blood pressure was crazy and I was driving home.)

Then he said he would either do an IVF cycle with:
1. clomid + injections
or
2. the thing the other RE mentioned he'd do -with no lupron but using lupron to trigger ovulation.
He wants to see more of our previous records (which apparantly we never got, though we thought, and were told, we had everything, so we're still trying to get those) and he wants to discuss with some of the other doctors at his practice which course would be better, because of our previous 5 failed IVFs. At least he didn't give us false optimism like all the other REs... The other "fun" part is he doesn't take our insurance so we're just shelling out the money now...

Yesterday, we also had an appointment with an adoption lawyer. We weren't so happy with him though. We paid $400 for him to tell us nothing we didn't know. And he was very disorganized. So now we're unsure if we should look for another lawyer, or use him anyway or what. It's ridiculous that the whole adoption process is so complicated and expensive. Our lawyer told us to expect to pay $35000 if we do advertising ourselves or $55000 if we hire someone to advertise for us. Who has this kind of money? So now I'm really not sure adoption will happen either. I was hoping going to the lawyer would make DH much more optimistic about adoption, since it would feel more real to him. But if anything the lawyer just made both of us more pessimistic and overwelmed and less sure that this is doable for us.

So we're back to square zero...

I also found a new psychologist to go to for depression. I went to one a few months ago for six months but he didn't really help me. This new one doesn't take my insurance though (I couldn't find one that does that deals with depression and has evening hours), so we'll be paying out of pocket for this as well. Of course my dh didn't like the alternative of my suicide, so we'll be paying for this too.

So between paying for IVF out of network + all adoption expenses + a therapist out of network -- think we'll still have enough money for rent? I guess we can always stop eating...

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I was petrified of my endometrial biopsy for coculture and, all I can tell you is that it pinched for a couple of seconds and was done. I have a very low tolerance for pain and this was pretty easy. I had some cramping after, but, I swear, it wasn't bad at all!

And, just taking a guess here, but, if it's Dr. S performing it, he was very, very nice!

Modern Orthodox IF said...

yes, it's Dr. S. Is he the only one that does these cocultures?

JewishMama said...

I haven't checked for ages. So sorry to read you're going through so much.
We looked at adoption about two years ago, and the cost just stopped us. You can get loans (Bonei Olam) and we spoke to the ATIME go to couple for adoption who said they would try and help. People just don't realise how costly and complex adoption is.