Monday, June 16, 2008

adopting a relative...

So today I was asked if we would want to adopt a relative (I was asked by the baby's grandmother who's now raising the child). It's a boy that's about one and a half. The parents have their issues, we don't know if the mother was drinking, doing drugs, etc. when pregnant. We don't really know anything just that the baby's very underweight now, the mother doesn't want him, and the father can't take care of him.

I'm trying to convince my husband that we should take the baby (as foster parents first), or at least go visit the child maybe with a psychologist to get him evaluated. My DH though is really worried about adoption in general, and especially since we know of some of the issues with the parents. He said he'll think about it, but he's really sad now since he wants to say no but he knows it will hurt me.

I'm also worried, of course, but if we did this we could have a child!!! And my relatives would be so happy since then they could still have a relationship with the boy. They really don't want him to be at strangers and have nothing to do with them.

Any advice about any of this? Am I crazy to want to take this child? And if I'm not, how can I convince DH??

1 comment:

Trying said...

We had talked about adoption at some points in our treatments also, as it was a real issue at certain times. I always had a problem with it - it seemed like we were conceding defeat with regard to treatments. My wife said she'd be in favor of it, but I wasn't, at least not at that time.
Don't push the issue. If he has an issue with it, let him try and work it out. Pushing it will only cause resentment.